1. Chop pepper and sweet potato into bitesize pieces approx 1-2cm and place on a baking tray. Drizzle over 1tbsp of oil and use your hands to evenly coat. Roast in the oven for approx. 30 minutes at 200C.
2. Dice the onion and sauté until soft in 1 tbsp of oil, add garlic and all spices and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable stock, basil and saffron (if using) to the onion and spice mixture.
4. Give everything a good stir and simmer on a low heat for at least 20 minutes.
5. Add the roast vegetables when ready and continue to simmer until desired consistency, the water from the stock should be absorbed/evaporated leaving a classic tomato based sauce.
6. Serve with wholemeal rice and/or pitta bread.
When using chopped tomatoes to make a sauce they benefit from being pulsed in a food processor before adding to a dish. This creates a smooth, creamy consistency. If using cheaper priced tins, it’s also worth adding half a tsp of sugar to combat any tartness of flavour.
Make extra! Batch cook and freeze for up to 3 months. Just double (or treble) the recipe for future homemade ready meals.